IF YOU HAVE SOME FREE TIME AND ENERGY
COME AND JOIN US!
Khora runs a community centre and we need your help!
A welcoming space has been created with food, information, a language school, a dentistry, legal support, a free shop, and we are looking for input, donations, time and/or ideas from the local Greek community and from volunteers to join us from Athens or abroad.
The Skills We Need:
We aim to share skills and responsibilities equally, and so don't tend to stick to set roles. If you are a builder you will not only build, if you are a teacher you will not only teach. We aim to make sure all volunteers are comfortable with the work they are doing and are able to work in a variety of different roles in the areas that interest them. The skills we are looking for include:
- Administration and Book Keeping Skills
- Experience with Social Work and/or Child Protection
- Child Care
- Language Skills: Especially Arabic, Farsi, Urdu, Kurdish, & Greek.
- Dental Experience
- Gardening Skills
- Teaching Skills (Working with Children and Adults)
- Building Experience
- An Understanding of European Asylum Law
- IT Skills and Social Media Experience
- An Understanding of Food and Nutrition
- Cooking Skills
- An Ability to Facilitate and Make Things Happen!
What we ASK from you:
- If you already live in Athens, we would love for you to get as involved as possible in an ongoing way, however much time you have available.
- If you are coming to Athens specifically to volunteer we ask for a minimum commitment of 4 weeks full time, although we always prefer to have people joining us for longer. We find that this adds to the sense of community building and supports the running of the centre. If you are only able to come for less than 4 weeks, and have a specific project proposal, please get in touch.
- Participation in current rotas, the roles change depending on how many volunteers we have and which projects and areas need more support.
- An open mind and enthusiasm.
- Flexibility, because we respond to needs as they occur. Our working week is seldom the same twice.
- A willingness to join our team and to take on some responsibility within the work you are involved in.
What we can provide
- Lunch at the building for every shift.
- Guidance and support for your time here.
- Skill sharing and learning opportunities.
- A chance to be part of this vibrant community centre.
- We run inductions for new volunteers on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays at 3pm. Please plan your trip to begin on one of these days, so we can show you around and give you some background to the way that we work.